Thursday, June 26, 2008

The "Tree-Tent Narnia Club"

Lady Bug just finished tennis today. While the kids were in class the parents would sit outside the courts at picnic tables and visit. One morning a mom and I were engaged in the usual small talk when she asked out of the blue if I home schooled. I had just recently read Jane's Blog and wondered if I was starting to look like a home schooler or something. She then asked me if I had gone to the recent home school convention. Ah ha! That's where we crossed paths. She was going into a session as I was coming out. I noticed by her name tag that we were from the same town. I exchanged a few comments with her about living in the same town and we parted ways. Now, here we sat visiting after a 2 second exchange at a home school convention.

We continued to visit after tennis finished and her daughter (age 7) and Lady Bug (age 8) played close by using just their imaginations. We were in an area full of nice shade trees. They decided to create the "Tree-Tent Narnia Club". (the trees look like tents and reminded Lady Bug of the forest of Narnia) The two of them planned out that they would invite the group from tennis to stay after today and have snacks with the "Tree-Tent Narnia Club".  

Today, my new friend and I brought snacks and the girls invited kids from tennis to stay, eat and play. We had warned them that probably many would not be able to stay at such short notice. We were pleasantly surprised that several were able to stay and they all had a great time. 

As they were playing they found this caterpillar. We had never seen one like it before. We spent time on the internet searching for what kind it was and found out that it is a Halysidota harrisii. We now have it at home, found a sycamore tree, fed the caterpillar some leaves and it ate all afternoon.

No comments: