Monday, June 9, 2008

About that Socialization...

Reader warning:  Vent mode - on,  Frustration level - high.  If you do not home school and are easily offended you may want to move on to another page.  I have had it and feel like blogging about it!  I will now step onto my soap box....

Last week on the Loopers, we were discussing our most frustrating home school questions. Two particular topics came up:  1) Educational background 2) Socialization.  I'm fortunate to have an educational background so I'll probably blog on that at a later time.  The one that just gets to me is the socialization question.  "How will your kids get socialized?"  Well, first of all, I guess I'm a little offended by that question because it assumes that I must not be socialized and we have apparently dug ourselves into our home, barred the doors and windows and just happened to come out to check for our shadows just in time to be cornered and questioned on socialization! Yikes! Do I really act like that much of a goober? Reality says that we really have to guard our activities or we would be out doing things all the time rather than ever being home.  

Let's start with the definition of socialize.  It means to mix socially with others or to behave in a way that is acceptable to their society.  1) To mix socially - my children have plenty of time with both children and adults in a variety of settings, so I would say that they are learning how to mix socially with others. 2) To behave in a way that is acceptable to their society - this is the big one.  This is the question I asked myself:  Do I want my children to behave in a way that is acceptable to their peers (i.e. in a classroom full of kids their age - their 'society' during school) or in our home with loving parents and their own siblings as well as in places of our choosing with people whom we trust with our children (i.e. grandparents, church members, etc.)?  

Alright, but let's discuss that acceptable behavior.  Do my kids behave in a way that is acceptable to me or those whom I trust?  Um... No.  Not even close on many days at this point. So, apparently I have failed in the socialization department, right?  That's when we have to remember that all children are sinful and have personalities which result in behaviors that must be shaped.  Let's go back to that classroom.  Now we are assuming that my children will be better served primarily by one teacher each year who does not know or appreciate their sinful nature and personality flaws rather than their parents who gave birth to them, love them and truly want them to be successful in life.  We are the ones who know well all their short-comings and have complete vested interest in making sure they are guided to the positive behaviors.

I have never put down any person for sending their child to public school or private school.  For some reason deciding to home school means it's "open season" in the criticism department. Some day I hope to get the same respect that I give others in their schooling in my decision to school my children at home.

If you have any doubt that they won't learn other socially "normal" things, (such as girls going to the bathroom in groups) I can assure you that these things apparently occur quite naturally.  The house was quiet and Brian was looking for our three girls.  He finally found them....  yes, all three girls were in the bathroom.  Lady Bug was on the toilet with the other two gathered around her and they were all looking through a magazine!

4 comments:

Angela Flies said...

Unfortunately we live in a place where sometimes being "different" is difficult. In your situation, as you will admit, homeschooling is not the "norm". It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, it just takes some people more time to adjust to the "difference". Some people don't understand homeschooling. I will be the first to admit I didn't. I never put it down...I just had to learn. I have learned alot and continue to learn great things from your family. I'm never afraid to ask questions - because I want answers. I want to know. Homeschooling is different to me. You and I had discussions when you first decided to homeschool. I never said anything bad. I knew I needed to know more. I have found that in many situations in my life as well. Different than yours, but putting me in similar feelings. Believe it or not, I have heard some criticism for me pursuing my Master's Degree. "Why in the world would you do that". Beliefs are different everywhere you go and that's where I think you hit on it earlier...it turns to respect. I have come to realize in my life that I don't agree with everything that people do around me. People don't always agree with everything I do in my life. But the common respect is the key to maintaining good relationships. I have learned to respect those around me - whether in agreement or not. I'm not afraid to state my opinions, but I also know that my opinions are not the only ones out there.

And just to throw a little amusement out here...I used to think that cartoons were very important growing up. Little did I realize that they weren't so important to you as you grew older...but I did learn very quickly. It didn't take long at all!!!

Opening up and seeing the differences and appreciating them has made me who I am today. I got my independence from part of my family, my sensitivity from another, and so many other parts of my personality come from family, friends, but the thing that always holds me up the most and makes me who I am is my Faith.

God has led you to your decision to homeschool, and my decision to continue my education with my Master's and many other decisions in our lives. I know you trust him, and I know I trust him. What more matters?

Venting always helps, but it always comes down to this...you make choices that you feel are right for your family. It hurts and its frustrating to hear the criticism and questioning, but your belief in what you are doing and God's help is far more important.

**off my soapbox**

Elephantschild said...

I got cornered about a year ago by our congregation's kindergarten teacher. Sigh.

Good point about looking at behaviour *right now.* NO kids behave beautifully ALL the time - even the lovely, perfectly "socialized" child that a school teacher may adore: even that child will have her awful moments.

(Cute story about your girls - hopefully they'll coexist in the bathroom as peacefully when they're teenagers! HA!)

Kim said...

One of the things I love to point out to people who ask this question is that my kids get along with and can interact with people of all ages. Traditional schooling doesn't provide the opportunity to do this.

Wolf Pack said...

Love the story about the girls in the bathroom. Mine can frequently be found in there also but...they are usually making a mess in the sink and on the floor and it almost always involves ink (where do they find it?), water and toilet paper, oh - and at least one battery operated toy in the water!

I've given up on socializing. I like my hole. Who needs to talk to people! ;) Me. I am so thankful that we know people! My boys spent the day with a friend (non-homeschooler) from church and they were GREAT! - they have their off days too (like as soon as they got home tonight!). ;)

I agree, who wants a bunch of young adults who have learned how to socialize from their peers, how else do you think the society we live in has gotten so self centered? Aside from the obvious answer of Sin of course. If a bunch of self centered kids (part of being a kid right?) get together and teach each other how to perpetuate being self centered... you get a bunch of young adults who don't know how to focus on anyone but themselves! Grrr... my biggest push with my kids these days is that it isn't about them all the time! ;)

Off my soap box too! :)
Blessings in Christ
Jenn in Vegas for 26 more hours!