Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A First For Me

I did something yesterday that I NEVER thought that I would do. (technically speaking, I sent my husband to do this task) We BOUGHT crickets. Yup. I detest those little insects, yet, we BOUGHT a dozen of them. I should have my head examined.

My oldest daughter caught a praying mantis a week and a half ago. We hunted for crickets outside and fed the mantis and then my intentions were to let it go. But, as I should have known, Lady Bug is attached to the mantis. She does not want to let it go. The mantis then laid an egg case, so we decided that we would get a container and keep the egg case and try to hatch them in the spring. We also decided to get a better container for the mantis too. We continued to hunt for crickets, but because it is getting colder, they are hard to find. We found some beetle-like bugs and fed those to the mantis for a while, but those also have been hard to find. Tonight, I sent Brian after the crickets. 

We'll see how long I last on this project.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you've done it!

Angela Flies said...

I'm shocked. You bought crickets? And I'm not surprised that she's attached to the mantis. It only took us 10 minutes to leave the park up here as she examined bugs.