Friday, January 9, 2009

The Biggest Mess..... EVER

Or: Why I have been absent from blogging lately....

Those of you faint of stomach, turn away now. Run. Hide. See you next blog post.... You've been warned.

Lady Bug and Monkey were sick with the stomach crud yesterday. Lady Bug was just queasy all day. Monkey did throw up once in the morning in the trash can. By evening all was going well. They were both perking up a bit. Lady Bug had 4 bowls of chicken noodle soup and Monkey ate as well (Brian fed her - I really don't know what all she ate).

At 11:30 p.m. I was making my usual pass through their rooms to check on them before I went to bed, when I heard Monkey sputter. I went in and she threw up all over every pillow and blanket on her bed. The next wave was coming and she closed her mouth, only to find that it came out her nose. That surprised her and made her throw up yet again, but this time her instinct was to throw up over the side of the bed. This is where things got worse...

You see, she sleeps on the top bunk of a loft bed. She nailed the bed below. But.... it doesn't stop there. That would be too easy. We just rearranged her room and put the elfa shelves with their clothes in the corner next to their bed. It looks really cute and gets the lamp within reach and the cd player close to her head so it doesn't have to be so loud. Remember, she threw up over the side of the bed - well, it was the elfa side of the bed - which means that she also nailed the shelf system AND all the clean clothes in the shelf system.

For those of you not familiar with elfa systems - they are wire baskets that go on runners. You can get them in various depths depending on whether you want the basket one runner deep, two runners deep or three runners deep. They are quite handy. Except when your child throws up all over them.

Long story, slightly shorter... it took 2 1/2 hours to clean up this mess. I had to go get Brian to help. I was completely dumbfounded as to where to even begin. We cleaned the child first, Brian rinsed the bedding in the shower and I cleaned elfa baskets in the bath tub and got laundry going and the carpet scrubbed. I finally crawled into bed after 2 a.m., only to wake up to sounds of Monkey on the toilet at 4 a.m. She had started on the other end.  Thankfully, Brian and I thought to put pull-ups on her just in case.... But, she was so runny that it pretty much went all over the toilet seat. So, back to the bath with her and more disinfecting of bathroom for me. Back to bed around 5 a.m. only to lay there and worry about if and when she might throw up or need the toilet again.

Now, they are all three outside enjoying the sunshine. She had lunch and seems totally fine. I'm hoping and praying it will stay that way and that Panda isn't next in line....

7 comments:

Angela Flies said...

Wow - that is no fun! Yuck yuck yuck!! Hope all stays well, and I'm just impressed this didn't all happen at Christmas.

Lynne said...

I don't think we ever had one that bad....I feel for you!

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeek!!!! I think you just minimized the biggest urpie I (I mean dh) ever had to clean! Praying your girls stay healthy for a good long time now.

Elephantschild said...

Oy.

I think I would've closed and locked the door and had the girls bed down in the living room or something!

Sparkle once projectile-vomited from a loft bed 5 feet above the floor. The drop zone was... well, pretty much the entire room.

Cheryl said...

Oh, you poor things.

I think most of us have btdt to some extent, but your experience does sound like one of the more extreme! Hope everyone is all better now!

Michelle said...

I think we're all on the mend (I SURE HOPE!!!) Thanks for all your comments!

E.C. - a wrecking ball did come to mind at one point! If I thought that closing and locking the door would have been any better - that would have been done - but, I was more afraid of having to clean up dried on stuff - EWWWWW!

Anonymous said...

You are ONE DESCRIPTIVE WRITER! Hope that is the last of that mess. Sorry about all that.

I do think my usual response is quite appropriate, though:

HOLY CRAP (& holy other stuff)!!