Tuesday, September 9, 2008

State Fair Field Trip

I hadn't been to the State Fair in 9 years - since supervising my band at the band competitions on the fair grounds. My kids had never been to the fair at all. I decided it was time for a field trip to the fair. I found out that Monday was dollar day at the fair. Admission to the fair would only be a dollar per person or you could get in free with your Dillons card. Perfect! I need cheap! It cost a grand total of $1 to enter the fair (I had to pay for Lady Bug since she is 8). 

We had a great time. I invited a mom and daughter I met at Lady Bug's tennis this summer. Her daughter is 7 and our two girls hit it off. The mom and I met in a unique way. (see this blog entry.) We visited the sheep, goats, bunnies, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese. The girls learned how many varieties of each of these animals there were. We went to an exotic petting zoo area where there was a kangaroo, giraffe, water buffalo, yak, miniature pony, camel, llama, zebra and many other animals that I have now forgotten but many were new to me in a petting zoo. It was fun to see up close all of these varieties of God's creatures.

The girls had fun in "agriland" where they "drove" a combine, milked a pretend cow, crawled in a tunnel where they could see roots, and played with various grains found in our area. They were able to climb inside a fire truck and see inside a mock FBI command center.

Their favorite, though was the rides. Since it was dollar day for those as well, we let them enjoy a few rides on the midway. Lady Bug's favorite was the ferris wheel. Monkey was all smiles as she pretended to drive a truck and Panda had to be torn off the horses on the merry-go-round. Their next favorite was walking through some of the RV's. They were amazed that something on wheels could look just like a home. 

We finished with an art project in a building called "Do Art". We were all worn out by the end of the day and Lady Bug still had group violin to do when we got home! Panda fell asleep in the van on the way home and slept for 2 hours after we got home.

Here are some of the pictures of our fun at the fair:

1 comment:

Angela Flies said...

Looks like a ton of fun!! Love the pictures!