E.C. had the idea of a story starter for my blog so here's the first one. We'll see how it goes!
Here's your chance: Add on to the story. Maybe we could even add on to each other's story in the comments section. It could be interesting. Play along if you want to:
An Unwelcome Winter Guest
The fire had completely burnt out during the night. It was so cold that I woke up shivering and sniffling. I could hear Father's loud snoring, and I knew he was still sleeping soundly.
"I'll get the wood for Mom" I thought, and I slipped on my shoes to go outside. I barely had the door open when I saw her looking right at me.
Have Fun!!! I'll check back later!
13 comments:
Snowball! What was she doing outside? She must have ducked outside at bedtime, following the faint sound of mice underneath the front porch.
"Snowball, you naughty kitty!" I exclaimed. What are you doing out here?" I bent down to pick her up, and that's when I heard it:
The cry of an animal, terrifying and yet enlightening, the bone-chilling call of the AARDVARK! (DAAAA DAAAAA DAAAAAAA!!!!)
My heart stood still, and my breath caught in my throat. After a moment, though, I remembered that aardvarks eat ants, and I wasn't an ant. I was worried about my special breeding project out in the barn, though. I quickly scooted poor Snowball into the house, and grabbed my heavy coat off the hook on the back of lean-to door.
I raced to the barn, my heart (and a LifeSaver I'd been eating) in my throat. "Hack, Gack, Coff!" Somehow, I managed to make it. I flung open the door.
The barn was dark. And quiet. TOO quiet.
Suddenly the quiet was broken by a voice. Oh great--it was a voice I knew all too well--that of my unbearably whiny and nosy (and bleached blonde) neighbor, Buffy.
"Can I borrow some corn syrup?" she asked. (You would think by now she would know I don't keep that stuff in my house.)
The breeding project would have to wait. The last thing I needed was Buffy getting wind of it. I took a deep breath to conceal my annoyance, pasted a pleasant smile on my face, and turned around.
"Buffy," I said, my voice as sugary as the corn syrup she needed. "I'm so very sorry, but I never keep corn syrup in the house. Can you substitute raw sugar instead?"
''Well,'' whined Buffy, but suddenly she was interrupted by the shrieking noise of a bassoon. ''Oh no!'' I groaned to myself as I heard the sounds from the bassoon teacher's house.
''Fiddlesticks!'' I thought to myself as I heard the shrieking bassoon being joined by two violins, a piano, and a harmonica. The Ricardos were at the bassoon teacher's house.
"Buffy," I asked, trying to hide my annoyance of these late night lessons, "why, are you really here? Why are you asking for corn syrup at this time of night when you are teaching lessons in your house?"
Buffy paused and then stared at the ground. She shuffled her feet a bit and then answered, "I do need corn syrup, but it isn't for baking. You see, I'm trying to find my pet. She got out when the Ricardos arrived. She loves corn syrup. She also loves life savers and..." She paused. "Ants."
Finally it was all starting to make sense. Trying to keep my voice calm, I asked, "Your pet? Since when do you have a pet, Buffy? And what kind of pet is it that likes corn syrup, Life Savers, and ants?"
Taking a deep breath, I tried to prepare myself for the answer I knew was coming. I had become accustomed to Buffy's shenanigans, but really!--only she would decide to get an aardvark for a pet. And here I was raising ants as the staple food supply for my own exotic animal. Except mine wasn't a pet.
Not only was my science project not a pet, it was not an actually an ANIMAL either--but more of a creepy crawly. I was rather sorry I had taken on this project, but what the neighbors don't know, won't hurt them.
Post a Comment