Today, one of my students came out and informed me that there was a spider in our bathroom. I wondered why they didn't just kill it, but walked to the bathroom to investigate. Upon entering the bathroom, my student also informed me that the spider was in the air register. I looked down the vent and sure enough, there was a spider. It was BIG! I hate spiders, especially BIG spiders.
Now, my student was telling me that I should just pick up the register cover. She even volunteered to do it herself. But, after seeing this thing, I decided to go after some spray.
I don't have any sort of bug killing spray in my house. The best I could do was Windex. I proceeded back to the bathroom (which is rather small) with three girls close behind. To see the register the bathroom door must be closed. I sprayed the register and out ran the spider - straight at us.
You have to picture this: Four of us "trapped" in a small bathroom with the door shut and a large spider coming at us. The four of us screamed. Two of the three girls jumped onto the toilet and one onto the side of the tub. They were yelling, "Kill it!" I looked around for something to squish this enormous spider and the only thing I could think of (quickly) was the Windex bottle in my hand. As I'm raising the bottle to go for the kill, the girls are screaming, "Oh, gross, not the Windex bottle!" With every strike they groaned and screamed.
I stopped to look at this monster and try to identify exactly what kind of spider it was. It was a brown recluse! Ok, I'm a teacher....so, I took this moment to educate my students. I coaxed them from their perches on the toilet and tub to come and see the violin shape on the back of the spider. The four of us were gathered around this withered spider when one leg started moving, then another. More screams and they're back to their perches! This spider, who looked dead a moment ago was coming at us again! I went back to the Windex bottle. I sprayed again first and then squished and with each squish again came the groans and screams of my students mixed with my own screams!
I cleaned up the carcass with about 7 squares of Bounty (you can't be too safe) and took it outside to throw it in the trash. I certainly didn't want it to come to life again and find it's way out of my trash inside!
6 comments:
Welcome to blogging! That's a great first post! (And I love your blog's color scheme.) ;-)
Wow! What a first post!
I hate, hate, hate spiders. I don't know what I'll do when I have no sons at home to kill my spiders!
Wow, pretty good story. Welcome to the online world!
ICK! Ditto on the spiders (all bugs). I've trained my boys to not like bugs (as in they don't bring them in to show me) but I've also trained them to kill the bugs for me too. Had to do a roach today. UGH - they're buggers to kill (and you can't just stomp on them b/c you run the risk of carrying the eggs around on your shoes!) TMI I know but... important none the less. ;)
Welcome to the blogging world - I'm on hiatus until I get moved.
In Christ
Jenn in Vegas for 30 more days
You have a way with words in telling this story.
I'm with the "I hate spiders" crowd. The only good spider is a dead spider.
Welcome to the blogosphere!
Paula (a lurker from Martin Loopers)
If no boys are around i always go for the hairspray! Extra hold! lol
Post a Comment