I can relate to Rev. Mark Schlamann's blog on the WT entitled "Raising Wusses and Wimps" It fits right in with my frustrations of this evening.
We were enjoying a wonderful evening of music with our children. The older two played solos on the Suzuki solo recital. We came home to find a message on our machine from a parent of a first grader who was upset with the results of the upcoming talent show. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive or maybe I'm just plain grumpy. My husband has spent so many hours away from our family doing his school "jobs" (some of which are voluntary on his part - the talent show being one of them). The other night he was up until 2 a.m. and then awake again at 5 a.m. just trying to get things done.
Back to the talent show. Brian has been given one hour out of the school day at the end of the year to allow the kids to perform in a talent show. So, he has to have auditions to keep the performances within that time frame. Doesn't it stand to reason that if there are auditions for something that some kids will not make it? Why is this such a difficult concept? Furthermore, why are parents flying in to attack the teacher who has given his own time to organize this event, instead of teaching their kids how to deal with disappointment? I guess I'm just fortunate that I had good parents. I didn't make everything that I tried out for, but they did not try to come to my "rescue". Instead they taught me to buckle down and try harder next time. I worry about some of these kids in the future, but in the meantime.....GRRRR!
No comments:
Post a Comment