Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Grandpa

Well, for the 2nd Wednesday in a row, my grandpa fell/passed out/fainted at church. Thankfully, he was at church where he was among people who could help and people who love him. So, now the question is what to do from here? He is 92 and has been living alone since Grandma passed away in July 2009. The concern is that no one is around to help him if he is alone and has one of these issues. But, the tricky part is that he likes him home and he loves his church. He does volunteer work at the church and it keeps him going. I hate to see him lose that.

I have offered to take him into our home. We live only 30 minutes from his church and could get him to his church and to his Braille volunteer work. Ladybug has been fascinated with Braille - so, we could all volunteer together and really learn something!

So here's the positives:
*He could have our room and bathroom - all on the main level. We could clean all our stuff out of the room and bathroom so it could be all his own stuff and his own space. We could easily move to the downstairs bedroom/bathroom.
*We are around all day. He would not be alone.
*I could get him to his church and Braille work and we could volunteer with him.
*He loves to walk. We have a beautiful bike path close and we could go with him so that he wouldn't have to walk alone. I know I could use more exercise!
*He used to play Yahtzee with my Grandma every afternoon. I have children who would eat that up! They love games.
*When my dh and I were discussing all of these possibilities - my kids got so excited at the idea. They asked when he could move in!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

It's so neat that your kids are excited about the prospect. Praying your family finds the right path for caring for your grandpa! I can tell you love him very much.

Michelle said...

He deserves the best! Ladybug keeps saying that she is so excited at the thought that her stomach feels like it does when something exciting is going to happen. I thought that was so sweet. :)

Kristi said...

It sounds wonderful if he will agree to it. Praying as your family make the decision.

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted on Grandpa's decision. It would be a wonderful blessing to you all. Suzanne L

Michelle said...

Thanks, Suzanne and Kristi. We would certainly love to have him. I know it would be a blessing!

He looked at the independent living places this week and had decided that he would move in to one and there was an apartment available. But, this evening he told my mom that he wasn't going to move out of his house.

He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's this week. So, I just want him cared for somewhere.