Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sad News

I just heard this evening that my college bassoon teacher passed away. He was a teacher, mentor, friend and very much like a family member to me. I wish he hadn't lived so far away these past several years.

I had such high respect for him. Not only did he teach me bassoon through my undergraduate degree, but we worked together on camp. I was his secretary for four years for the camp. The first year I was secretary, he was ill and in the hospital from early in the summer until the final day of camp. He ran camp from his hospital bed through me. I made many trips that year to see him and find out what to do next. He was so prepared that it wasn't hard to put all together. I learned so much that year.

After I graduated from college he made me his assistant director. I was honored to have that title, a title I didn't feel I necessarily deserved; and honored that he respected my opinions enough to give me that title. I worked with him until he retired and moved in with his daughter and her husband out of state.

He was very happy living next to his daughter. They had a nice house that basically had an apartment attached. He could live independently yet be a part of their lives. He was so excited when his grandson was born.

One thing I will miss is his Christmas letters. They were always so nicely done and included photos of his family and his cats (who he treated as family). He did beautiful woodwork. We have one of the doll houses that he built. He was so kind to give it to my girls. He also cross-stitched! One of my treasured wedding presents is a wall hanging that he cross-stitched for us himself.

My prayers are with his children and grandchildren. They are all very neat people.

I will miss him.

7 comments:

Angela Flies said...

Words can't describe the sadness. Working for him at camp was the best. I will never forget - the summer Gpa P passed away - he had been pretty ill and it was an emotional time for me beforehand. Bob told me "I just can't handle a girl crying...tears me apart." Like you said - a very good mentor, teacher, and definitely friend.

One year when I was secretary - he also fell ill, but this time didn't end up in the hospital BEFORE camp, but after camp. He had been working outside early in the summer and was sick over the weekend. He came in the next week and said my pulse rate is really low - I just must be stress free. You are doing such a great job - I have no stress. I kept trying to get him to go to the dr, but he refused - he knew he would have ended up in the hospital. During camp, Michelle and I completely took over everything and kept him at home as much as possible. Shortly after camp, we both continued to bug him - have you been to the doc, etc. Finally when he did - he ended up in ICU. One of the valves in his heart was not working properly and his blood was basically at a standstill. He didn't want to miss camp again.

Working for Bob was a great blessing in my life. I thoroughly enjoyed my years at camp - as a student - and as a staff member. So many memories!!!

Bob - you will be terribly missed!

Cheryl said...

I'm very sorry to hear this news. May his family and friends know God's peace and comfort.

tbone said...

Bob and I didn't really get along when I first got to college (probably because he played woodwinds and I play brass...), but, thankfully, that changed as we got to know one another. I was blessed to know his family, play trombone with his son, and work in band camp with all of them. Bob did a lot to boost band camp after a couple of bad situations brought the camp some trouble--he worked hard, and treated his "people" right. He was honest. He also never stopped teaching (most of us never do), even after retiring; he continued to work to help young people further the aims of music in big and small ways.
I'm glad to have known him and worked with him. And I wish his family peace.

ksu1988 said...

Who was your teacher? Was it Mr. Brown?

Michelle said...

Yes, it was Mr. Brown - who are you KSU1988? Just wondering how you knew.

ksu1988 said...

Hey Michelle it is your sister-in-law Janet. Brandon had Mr. Brown's son David for a teacher and tennis coach. How sad to hear that he passed away. He sounds like he was a really nice man.

Tell everyone that we said hello.

Lynne said...

I too have had the pleasure of working with Bob. I was on the other end helping him with room arrangements for Band Camp and Music contest. He was fun to work with and we had many chats over things we wanted to "air". Michelle and Ang said it well. He will be missed by so many. God's blessings on the family and friends.