Thursday, November 18, 2010

Life in the Shadows

My kids aren't kids who are naturally outgoing or have the outward appearance of excelling. Their talents are much more subtle. They are bright and talented, but if you aren't watching closely, you will miss those amazing details. I see them every day.

My kids are not "showy" kids. They don't particularly like being the center of attention. They don't like to perform. They don't like a lot of attention drawn to them. They are not highly competitive.

But, because of that, I too frequently forget that they do appreciate recognition. It's so hard to balance in a world that has to see what you do in order to give recognition when you have kids who don't want to stand out, and don't particularly want to place themselves in front of others.

Thankfully, last night my oldest daughter received some recognition. She was so thrilled. It was so neat to see, yet I received another load of guilt. She could have had the same recognition last year, but she didn't want to take away from anyone else and neither did I, so she remained in the shadows. So, now I remain in the shadow of guilt.

I hope someday I learn how to balance, for my kids' sake.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I can relate to this post. I have really outstanding kids that have achieved some truly impressive things. I have noticed that while I will readily "brag" about them to friends (like you) I don't always praise them as much as I should to their face. I get used to their excellence and take it for granted. Yet what they probably most need in the way of approval is not the world's but their parents'. I need to make sure I don't forget that.